Lord have mercy, nearly one year after my nomination and I am finally accepting my Liebster Award (an award passed on by bloggers to new blogs with less than 200 followers). A belated but heart-felt thank you to Life Measured in Coffee Spoons for nominating me. I wish I had a good excuse for the delay other than “I was … busy …” but I don’t. However, one benefit of my sluggishness has been the opportunity to change my 11 Random Facts and my answers to Life Measured in Coffee Spoons’ 11 questions over the last 11 months (a total coincidental, I swear) and, in doing so, realize how much I’ve changed. This begs the question, were I to wait another 11 months to accept the award, how different would my answers be then? It’s not really a question I care to brood over too much but it does force me to think on how what’s written here can only be said to reflect myself as I am right now on July 13, 2014. Lord knows who I’ll be this time next year.
11 Random Facts About Me
1.) I’ve lived in four countries since I was two years old (five countries if you count my semester abroad in London)
2.) I’m fascinated by saints, particularly mystics. Hildegard of Bingen, Theresa of Avila, Joan of Arc (I think she counts), and Catherine of Siena …
3.) Dragonheart was the first movie to make me cry.
4.) Nothing I’ve ever read has made me cry but the three works that got me closest were The Red Tent, I Am Mordred and Journey Into Mystery #645.
5.) One historical figure I’d love to have coffee with (excluding religious leaders as there are too many) is silent film actor, Conrad Veidt, if only to shake his hand for being such a cool guy and practice my German.
6.) I only read the Harry Potter books because in 3rd grade I made a deal with my best friend that if she read the first Magic Tree House book I would read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. It was love from the first page. I often wonder how my life would be different if I hadn’t made that bet.
7.) Grindewald, Switzerland is, to date, the most beautiful place I’ve ever been
8.) I. HATE. The Breakfast Club.
9.) While in London, a friend and I stood outside of the Donmar Warehouse for 4 nights (not in a row) in the vain hope of meeting Tom Hiddleston. I deeply regret doing that now.
10.) I get acupuncture and shiatsu one a week. I recommend it to everyone.
11.) There’s a national park in Norway called Jotunheimen I’d love to visit partly because I love hiking but also because the name reminds me of the ice realm, Jotunheim, from Norse and Marvel mythology. (The featured image for this post is of Jotunheimen).
11 Questions From the Nominator
1) What book has changed your life and why?
There are a few. A Mighty Heart by Mariane Pearl inspired me to major in journalism, Half the Sky cemented my conviction to use my life to help others (though I’m still figuring how) and Never Let Me Go continues to impact how I view life.
2) If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you choose and why?
Germany. I’ve studied five languages and German is the only one I’ve ever loved. I’d like to live in full immersion and become fluent. Also, I’m a real stickler for punctuality.
3) What is your favorite meal?
Supper. It’s the one meal that I consistently eat with other people.
4) Why did you start blogging?
A journalism professor encouraged everyone in his class to start our own blogs. I took his advice mostly to boost my resume and marketability but now I maintain it as a wonderful emotional outlet and venting platform.
5) If your life had a soundtrack, what songs would it include?
Oooooooh … what a question! “Make Me A Channel of Your Peace” and “Simple Gifts” are songs I strive to live by. Pharrell Williams’ “Happy” never fails to cheer me up nor does Hiddleston’s rendition of “The Bear Necessities.” “The Circle of Life” works on a level I never appreciated as a child. “No Good Deed” from Wicked is brilliant, as is “Iron” by Within Temptation. “Into a Fantasy” by Alexander Rybak is a tad childish but it captures the joy and comfort of fiction perfectly and I like to imagine death in terms of “Into the West.” There would also be a lot of film score pieces, not because they reflect my life but because I connect with them so deeply.
6) What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Absolute contentment with what you’ve done with your life, what you are doing with it now and what you are planning to do with it in the future.
7) If you could change anything about yourself, what would it be?
I’d get rid of my anxiety and permanently banish writer’s block from my mind.
8) What advice would you give to a new blogger?
Write about what you want. There’s no point in maintaining a blog on a topic you think you should write about.
9) What is your idea of a successful life?
One that has made some aspect of some corner of the world better in some way.
10) What is your favorite movie that you’re afraid to admit is your favorite movie?
Weeeeell, there aren’t really any movies that I like because they’re bad, which is how I define “guilty pleasure” but there are a few that I admit aren’t very good but that I love for what little good is in them. Thor and Thor: The Dark World are two such films. I’m also becoming increasingly embarrassed to admit that I watch Once Upon A Time, though that’s a show, not a movie.
11) Do you have a bucket list? If so, list three items from it. If not, make something up!
I’ve written several bucket lists over the years and lost them all. Consistently, though, I want to learn a second language, write a novel, and go skydiving.
1. Days, Nights & Day Dreams http://daysnightsanddaydreams.wordpress.com
2. MovieReviewsByMatt’s Blog http://moviereviewsbymatt.wordpress.com
3. Yasmin Says Stuff http://yasminjaunbocus.wordpress.com
4. Alex Sheen http://alexsheen.wordpress.com
5. Mostly True Stories of K. Renae P. http://mostlytruestoriesofkrenaep.com
6. Fantastic World of Film http://ohilodude.wordpress.com
7. For Lack of a Better Word http://julianamare.wordpress.com
8. Girls Errant http://girlserrant.wordpress.com
9. Book Shelves and Windows http://bookshelvesandwindows.wordpress.com
10. Maija’s Fantasy Reads http://maijareads.wordpress.com
11. A Literary Mind http://aliterarymind.wordpress.com
11 Questions for Nominees:
- Why did you start your blog?
- If you could have dinner with one fictional character who would it be and what would you talk about?
- If you could have dinner with one historical figure who would it be and what would you talk about?
- What is one thing you hope to accomplish in life?
- What accomplishment are you proudest of so far?
- What’s a work of fiction that has changed your life and how?
- What’s a movie from your childhood that you still enjoy as much as you used to?
- If you had a superpower what would it be? (Yeah, yeah, I know but it’s a fun question)
- If the world was going to end in 3 weeks, how would you spend those last 21 days?
- If you had to pick now, what song would you listen to on your death bed?
- If you could go back and talk to your 12 year old self, what advice would you give?
Recipients of the Liebster Award must:
- List 11 Random facts about yourself
- Answer the questions that were of you by the blogger that nominated you
- Nominate 11 other blogs for the Liebster Blog Award and link to their blogs
- Notify the bloggers of their award
- Give the award winners 11 question to answer once they accept the award